Monday, March 7, 2011

Pigs are delicious

I have been on my pig kick lately. I want to know everything there is to know about those delicious creatures, form breeding to eating. Fortunately our library system has a inter-library loan program where I can get all the farming books I want. The problem is waiting a week or more to get the information. Since we are currently renting an apartment I don't need the books immediately. I just want to have the knowledge I need to get my feet on the ground when it comes time to buy a home for my family.

That brings me to the next thing I have been thinking about lately. Housing...
Currently it is not feasible to buy a farm with the kind of income we currently make. "Start small and grow" is something all the farming books seem to have in common. But a frequent question becomes "whats a farmer without lots of land"? My response is simple, a small scale farmer. My plane is to buy 1/4 - 2 acres of land with a nice house on it. Plan my small enterprises around the land and learn everything I can in that time we own that home. I can raise most animals, from chickens to goats to pigs. What I am reading, tells me it only takes 1/5 of a acre to raise pigs and/or chickens. The bottom line to all this is: raising a family in a happy, safe and Christ centered home is top priority. Beyond my faith and my family, everything else just is. fortunately, I have married the most beautiful and supportive woman I have ever met. If my wife was not with me emotionally and physically and any other way, there would be no point. She is the love of my life.

With time and good stewardship, everything will fall into place.

No comments: