Friday, July 29, 2011

Eating and Cooking Bison


If more people knew about my desire to raise bison they would ask questions. But since very few people know of this passion, I will ask myself these questions. I hope you enjoy.

Why should a family add bison to their diet?

As a man, my reply would simply be "for the taste". If you cooked any main dish involving meat (say lasagna) with bison, and another with beef or sausage, the bison lasagna would win the taste test every time. Even comparing cheeseburgers, bison will taste better and will have a lot more moisture when prepared correctly.

Not only does bison taste better but it is also better for your body than beef, chicken or fish. Bison has 76% less fat than Beef and 68% less fat than chicken. It also has 43% more protein than beef. According to readers digest magazine, (something I have never read) bison is in the top 5 foods women should be eating.Their reasoning is because of the iron content.

Can you cook bison in the same manner as beef?
This is my first experience with buffalo prime rib.
It was the best cut of meat I have ever eaten.

Preparing bison is similar to beef in many ways and can be substituted for beef in many recipes. However bison needs patience and low heat. Over cooked bison is just like any other meat that has been overcooked, dry and tough. The FDA recommends meat to be cooked medium. I recommend medium rare steaks and medium burgers. But remember, cook em' slower and NEVER press down on your burgers while cooking. With bison meat, there is very little shrinkage when cooking, what you see is what you get. There is almost no fat to be cooked away. Don't be afraid to use a little bit of oil when cooking steaks and roasts. I have never tried a bison roast! What is wrong with me? Just imagine a bison roast just falling apart into bite sized pieces... Yuummmmm

And with that thought, I will leave you.

No comments: