Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Getting Closer

Its the beginning of June and the farms are a buzz with activity. Most farms a busy growing corn and soy, cutting and bailing hay and managing their livestock. As of right now I am trying to get our Rhubarb, blackberries, basil and flowers to grow on our tiny residential lot in town. While trying to grow a few plants I have been spending time reading and preparing for our farming future. I am trying to get a grasp on pigs, cattle and chickens through the only source currently available, books. I am currently reading "Everything I want to do is Illegal" and "Grass fed Cattle". Both books are informative and give me a heads up of what I need to be looking out for and some basic principals for pasture based farming.

Every step brings us closer to our goal of farming. About a week ago I laid out a 10 year plan broken down into two year groups expounding on different enterprises, costs, timelines and projected profit analysis. I set up a farming system with the overarching goal of starting and growing debt free. This means owning land may be a few years down the road. However, in the mean time I will start looking for a land owner who is willing to lease us land at a reasonable rate.

Our goal for beginning a land lease is March 2013.

If you happen to know someone who lives within about 15 minutes of Forest Lake, MN willing to lease land to a grass farmer, let me know.

No comments: