Friday, June 20, 2008

5 Minutes

While reading, My iTunes was jammin' out. A song came on I have listened to multiple times. The song was "5 Minutes" By KJ-52. The only difference was my reading of Matthew 26:36-46 (amazing how God uses numbers) while listening to it. 

1) A soul extremely sorrowful, to the point of death. How does Jesus deal with this? Stress to the point of blood. Jesus has 3 friends wait and watch with him. We need to value the relationships God has divinely placed in our lives. We also need to ask for encouragement and help in times of sorrow and despair. More important is what Jesus does next, He prays. He pleads his case to God (this is of highest importance) while being submissive the entire time. "Not as I will, but as you will". How would we deal with friends that let you down? Vs. 40-41, Rebuke, command, and encourage. People will let you down! that is something you can be assured of "the spirit indeed  is willing but the flesh is weak". The three disciples are told to "watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation". What was their temptation? Was it sleep? Was it Satin working in another way? In either case they were to pray in order to combat temptation. Jesus prayed again, this time it was full submission to God the Father. I want to note the time it takes for a response and submission to authority.  I know I have a hard time listening and responding when I finally do listen. It should be in the moment. Next, more prayer! I love this. Its not just one prayer, Jesus doesn't pray just once, he prays 3 times. (the number of times Peter denies Jesus, relation?) What's next? Jesus prepares his disciples (friends) for what's to come. 

2) The joy of Jesus in a troubled time. How can we connect the two? Joy and sorrow. Hebrews 12:2 explains. "looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." Jesus had the joy that was set before him, not on the physical act we can see, but of the salvation of sinners which would reflect back to the Father for his glory. (Hebrews 2:11) How are we to respond to this great act of worship? Take up your cross daily. (Luke 9:23) Praise God like the psalmist in Psalm 98. Sing, clap, play an instrument to the Lord. Make joyful noise! 

So, how did the song impact me? I was placed in the garden, watching this take place. My emotional state was not brought to the place it should have been. I was not broken. I was not crying. I was not in prayer. I did not have the heart of gratitude. I did not drop to my knees... 

And now I repent 

No comments: